Low-Carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada

This Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada is made with “zucchini tortillas” and it’s loaded with enchilada sauce, chicken and cheese. It’s also gluten-free and very flavorful!

I’m going to start this post saying that I LOVE this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada recipe, just because I really DO. When I saw this recipe video on the Delish website I was a little skeptical about cooking enchiladas with zucchini. However, I thought it’s such a different recipe that I decided to adapted this recipe from Delish. I’m glad to say that it turned out amazing and my whole family loved it! My husband even repeated the plate and I liked so much that I’m now thinking that future enchilada recipes will be made with “zucchini tortillas” 😉

I love this Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada because it’s lighter than the traditional recipe and also the filling is AMAZING.

This is definitely a great twist on this Mexican dish especially now that is spring and soon summer! Zucchini is such a hit throughout these seasons. So, this is the perfect recipe to make these months.

Also, this is a good recipe if you have lots of chicken leftover in the fridge. To be honest I didn’t cook a chicken for this recipe. The day before I made this recipe I bought a roasted chicken at my local grocery store and we had it for dinner with some veggies. The next day I shredded the leftover and then I made this low-carb chicken zucchini enchilada recipe.

Of course any type of chicken meat works here. You can use chicken thighs, chicken breast and so on. I also think that if you have ground turkey in your fridge you can use too. It’ll work just fine. Also I used an enchilada sauce from a store bought brand just because it was faster this way.

I used two types of cheeses (Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses) as well, which went perfect in this low-carb chicken zucchini enchilada recipe. Mm… So good! This is definitely the perfect recipe if you are on low-carb and gluten-free diets.

Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Enchilada

Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • salt to taste
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 3 c. Shredded chicken
  • 1 1/3 cup red enchilada sauce, divided
  • 4 large zucchini, (sliced with a mandolin or peeler)
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar
  • Sour cream, for drizzling
  • Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
  2. In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and salt.
  3. Cook until golden and brown. It’s about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, shredded chicken and 1 cup enchilada sauce.
  4. Stir well until combined.
  5. Using a vegetable peeler or a mandolin make thin slices of zucchini. On a cutting board, lay out four zucchini slices slightly overlapping. Then, add two tablespoons of chicken mixture on top. Roll up and transfer carefully to a baking dish. Repeat with remaining zucchini and chicken mixture.
  6. After that, use remaining enchilada sauce to top the zucchini enchiladas.
  7. Sprinkle the shredded Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese.
  8. Bake for approximately 20 minutes and until cheese is melted.
  9. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro and serve.

This recipe is adapted from Delish.

Source



Post a Comment

0 Comments